Tuesday 17 August 2010

Live chat with nurse Judy

Carey asks: “Hi Judy, I'm 31 and had a heart attack end of March this year. I was put on 1.25mg Ramipril once a day (amongst other things!), which last week was increased to 2.5mg. On the lower dose I felt fine, but since the dose being increased my heart misses a beat quite frequently; approx. 5 times an hour. Is this something to... be concerned about and should i go to see my GP to go back on the original dose? Thanks Carey”

Judy says:

I am very sorry to read that you have had a heart attack at such a young age. Ramipril belongs to a group of drugs called Ace Inhibitors. Those drugs can drop your blood pressure quite quickly when you first start taking them. So it is standard practice to start on a low dose and gradually increase. 1.25 mgs is usually considered to be too low for long term use so it is not surprising that your GP increased it to 2.5 mgs.

Your symptom of being aware of your heart beat or feeling that your heart misses a beat every now and then is not uncommon. It may be that you have a disturbance to the heart rhythm or it may be that you are just experiencing an extra beat every now and then which is harmless. It would be worth reporting it to your GP who could arrange for some tests to help you get to the bottom of it. Hope this helps. I wish you good health for the future.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Judy,

I had a triple by-pass op some time ago and am trying to eat healthily.

Could you tell me whether salt in processsed food might contribute to a higher risk of heart disease, or salt in general, because I have read that not enough salt in your diet is not healthy, but too much can lead to higher blood pressure. (My blood pressure is currently quite low)

Phil S