Tuesday 9 September 2008

Blogging from the heart

We love the BHF blog, but for many people, blogging is an important way to help them cope with serious illnesses.

An article in the Guardian today suggests that for many sufferers, writing down the experience of an illness is as important as drugs or surgery to the healing process.

Louise Snape, aged 30 from Manchester, was diagnosed with dilated cardiomyopathy, a potentially fatal heart disease, after giving birth to twin girls who had the condition. Louise says: Writing my blog keeps me sane. I think that without it I’d go mad. I can’t get out much because I’m not strong enough. I can’t even take the girls to the park. Doing this gives me something to focus on.”

As the old saying goes, a problem shared is a problem halved. Sharing experiences online is no substitute for medicine, but there’s the feelgood factor of possibly helping someone with a similar condition. Blogging also provides a means for other people to express their support.

The Snape twins, Katie and Lauren, are now three years old. Katie has had a heart transplant. Louise and Lauren are being assessed.

Louise continues: “We do get lots of feedback from around all over the world. People who read my blog really care about me and the girls. I can’t put into words what a difference that makes to my life.”


No comments: