Tuesday 17 August 2010

Live chat with nurse Judy

Denise asks: "Hi Judy I’m 42 awaiting valve surgery they have said I’ve got a tiny femoral artery it needs some electrical rewiring and there’s a hole. I’m just a bit worried about being on warfarin all my life they have said if it cant be repaired a metal valve will be fitted any info about the warfarin I’d be grateful thanks."

Judy says:

I am sorry to read that you need to have valve surgery and I understand your concern about taking warfarin for life. There are benefits and risks associated with taking warfain which you can read about here. If you have a metal valve replacement you will have to take warfarin for life as otherwise a potentially fatal clot would build up on the valve. When making the decision about surgery what you need to consider is what are the risks associated with the surgery (and with warfarin) versus the risks associated with not having the surgery in the first place.

It might be worth talking to your surgeon about this again if he or she did not explain the risks of not having surgery. You can read more about valve disease here. Whatever you decide I wish you good luck with it and good health for the future.

No comments: